Good morning everyone! Has it been as hard for you as it has been for me to wake up in the mornings this week? I’m not sure if it’s the rainy weather or the fact that the days are starting to get shorter that have me sleeping in an hour past my alarm. Either way, I need to get back on track and back to my normal routine.
On these crazy mornings when I’m trying to squeeze a shower, getting dressed, making lunches, and feeding the dog into 30 mins I need an energy boost. That energy boost is LEMON WATER! Lemon water seems to be my go-to miracle elixir lately. There’s something about the fresh, crisp, hydrating citrus flavor that really gets me going on those tough mornings.
The benefits of drinking lemon water are pretty kickass. Here are just a few (okay more than a few) reasons to drink lemon water…
- Lemon water contains electrolytes
- It helps digestion by stimulating the secretion of gastric juice
- Cleanses the liver by stimulating it to release toxins
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which helps fight infections of the respiratory tract (think sore throats)
- It’s a powerful antioxidant! So it protects the body from free radicals and strengthens the immune system
- Has a high content of potassium. Potassium aids in proper functioning of the nervous system (think depression and anxiety) and is especially great for pregnant women because it helps the baby form healthy brain cells and and a strong nervous system
- Cleanses blood, blood vessels, arteries, and helps lower blood pressure
- Helps to dilute uric acid (think joint pain and gout)
- Helps dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and calcium deposits
- Lemons are loaded with vitamin C, which is especially great for pregnant woman because it helps the formation of bone tissue of the baby
- Relieves heartburn
- Helps suppress hunger cravings (because lemons contain pectin fiber)
For all my thyroid friends, if you take thyroid medication that needs to be taken on an empty stomach and away from food, wait at least 1 hour before drinking lemon water.
Helpful tip: When my alarm goes off at 5:30am, whether I get up or hit snooze, I always take my thyroid medicine at that time. So that way, if I do hit the snooze button, by the time I wake up I can still eat on time at 6:30am and my schedule isn’t effected.
Question of the day: What is your favorite way to drink lemon water? Do you add anything special to it?