Over a year ago I wrote about my favorite all natural deodorant. I was so happy to hear some of you trying out the brand and absolutely loving it! However, some of you said that although you love it, sometimes it would sting, especially after a shave. Having experienced this sting myself I decided to try my hand at DIY deodorant.
I would like to say that it took a lot of trial & error and finding the perfect blend took weeks, but it didn’t. This recipe was a rock star from the start. It’s also super cost effective, has only 4 ingredients, and takes about 90 seconds to make – no lie. Oh and how could I forget the biggest bonus… it works better than any deodorant I’ve ever used; that includes all conventional brands and even my favorite all natural deodorant.
I always assumed I had an aversion to baking soda in natural deodorants because my pits would break out in a rash after application. So when I came across this recipe I thought I was setting myself up for failure, but alas, no rash! I’ve been using this deodorant for months now and have had no issues. My underarm skin is actually smoother and lighter (in color) since using this deodorant – which I credit the coconut oil for. Ah coconut oil, let me count the ways I love thee…
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons organic cornstarch
- essential oils (optional) – my favorite is 10 drops of Lavender & Tea Tree oil
- Mix all ingredients and store in glass jar. When applying, only use a pea size amount and pat on – do not rub.
The reason I chose tea tree & lavender for an essential oil is because both have antiseptic/antibacterial properties. Plus I had some on hand. Other oils with antiseptic/antibacterial properties are:
- Lemongrass (Very strong. Just a few drops will do the trick.)
- Lemon (Very strong. Just a few drops will do the trick.)
I hope this deodorant works as well for you as it does for me! Let me know in the comments below how yours turned out!