It’s easy to think you are broken once you get the type 1 diabetes diagnosis. Like you’ve somehow failed at being a human. Your own body has turned against you. Your dreams of an easy going, good life instantly become hazy and you start to feel like you don’t deserve a good life anyways because you must not be that great if your own body can betray you like that. At least these were my thoughts when I first got diagnosed.
A Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis Is A Tough Pill To Swallow
I don’t think there is a “normal” reaction to getting the type 1 diabetes diagnosis. I’ve heard stories of people laughing, crying, lashing out, and shrugging it off once they’ve gotten the news that their beta cells have stopped functioning. I personally shrugged it off, playing tough-girl for the first 15 minutes until the doctor told me I needed to call my parents and have them pick me up. Saying the words, “Mom, I have diabetes” opened the floodgates for the next few hours; followed by about 2 months of anger and the feeling of betrayal.
Allowing yourself to feel these emotions, no matter what they are, is necessary. If you need to laugh hysterically then laugh. If you need to punch a wall, then do it because bottling up your feelings is one sure way to lock yourself in emotional limbo.
Focus on the positive! It’s way more fun!
There are so many AMAZING things in this life, places to explore, people to meet, and things to try. Diabetes might change how you get there, but it most certainly will not stop you.
Don’t let your diagnosis define you, because you are SO much more than your disease.
Here are some tips that helped me come out on the other side…alive
- Know that everyone has something that they are battling. You my dear are no different.
- Be aware of your support system and use them! They want to help.
- Allow yourself to feel every emotion, but know when to reel it in.
- Think of all the amazing things you ARE blessed with. If you have running water, food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and a place to sleep tonight you are already doing better than most.
- Know how badass you are! So many people will tell you, “I don’t know how you do it. I couldn’t do what you do everyday.” You know why? Because you are a badass! That’s why!
- Join a T1D community. If you are feeling like no one around you “gets it” then get in with those that do. Find other T1D’s online through Facebook groups, join online communities like Glu, and go to T1D seminars & events. Trust me, these people totally get it!
And if all else fails, take a hot bath, put on some comfies, and turn on Netflix. Do not underestimate the power of self pampering on the soul!
If you enjoyed this article and think someone else might enjoy it too, please share it with them 🙂