Hi! How is your Tuesday going so far and how was your weekend? We had a very active Saturday because we were still picking up the yard from the Fall storm; which lead to some great BG numbers for me!
On Sunday my Mom and I went to Stonewall Kitchen for a Taste of Southwest cooking class. It was so much fun and the food was so delicious. We got there early and picked a seat right in the second row. We watched (and nibbled on the food) as the Chef took us through how to cook each dish. He also talked about how we can modify each dish and gave us a bunch of cooking tips and little facts along the way.
The first dish was a Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- 2 cups onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic
- 3 TBSP Jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP ground chili powder
- 4 cups fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cooked corn tortillas (@400°F for 6-8min)
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 3-4 chicken breasts, grilled and shredded
- Saute onion, garlic, and jalapeno, until onions are translucent.
- Add spices, cook for another minute. Set aside.
- Simmer tomatoes and broth in a pot for 15-20 minutes.
- In a blender, combine all soup ingredients (including 3 cooked tortillas). Blend until smooth.
- Top with black beans, corn, and chickne
The second dish was Cowboy Hanger Steak with Black Beans & Corn Salsa
Cowboy Spice Rub
- 2 TBSP Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 TBSP ground corriander
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- For a boatload of flavor, mix all spices and toast at 250°F for 6-8 min before rubbing on steak.
The third and final dish was a Tequila Flan. Sorry no picture. I had to turn that one away because #1 it had diary and #2 I didn’t even want to try and guess how much sugar would be in it. So I ate this chocolate mint kind bar instead 🙂
Then we wrapped up the weekend with a couple episodes of Stranger Things. Who else can’t get enough of this show!?