Crispy baked chickpeas are going to be your new 👏 favorite 👏 salad 👏 topping. They’re CRUNCHY, healthy, and super simple to make!
Store bought brands contain inflammatory seed oils, like vegetable & canola, which can lead to insulin resistance and a whole SLEW of other health problems.
We already have diabetes, let’s not add to the list 🙃
Crispy baked chickpeas are fast, easy, and inexpensive to make. All you need is an oven and 3 ingredients:
- coconut oil
- salt (this is the brand I use for it’s purity)
THIS is the oven I’ve had for over 5 years and I absolutely LOVE it. I can fit a whole chicken in it, I bake cookies in it, baked haddock, you name it!
Healthy Ingredients & Endocrine Benefits
What makes this homemade crispy chickpea recipe a healthier option?
One. Unlike traditional croutons which can contain upwards of 15 ingredients, these have a small list of whole food ingredients.
Two. You are the gatekeeper of quality control. Instead of choosing a highly inflammatory, low quality, PUFA oil like vegetable or canola oil, you can choose a high quality oil like coconut oil.
Instead of choosing conventional spices, you can choose organic ones. Or better yet, spices from your own garden or local farmers market.
Benefits of Chickpeas for Diabetes and the Endocrine System
- LOW glycemic index: This gives your insulin time to kick in.
- HIGH in soluble fiber: This helps to lower both total and LDL cholesterol.
- HIGH in dietary fiber: Helps with digestion & bowl movements 💩
- INCREASES butyrate production: Butyrate is a short-chain fatty acid that helps to get rid of sick, damaged, and dying cells. This helps your body for a number of reasons, such as aging, lowering your cancer risk, and inflammation.
- HIGH in folate: One cup of these crispy chickpeas contains 71% of your DV, which is especially needed for people with the MTHFR gene and pregnancy women.
- HIGH in manganese: One cup of these crispy chickpeas contains 74% of your DV, which helps the body with the metabolism of fat and carbohydrates, calcium absorption, blood clotting factors, and hormone balance.
a handful of crispy baked chickpeas does the (diabetes) body good
It’s SUUUPER simple to make, trust me!
The process of making crispy baked chickpeas is easier than you may think:
- Drain & rinse chickpeas.
- Season with spices & oil.
- Bake in oven @425F for 40 minutes.
Serving & Storing Crispy Baked Chickpeas
Crispy chickpeas are an EXCELLENT swap for croutons on a salad.
They also go great in bowl meals, such as taco bowls, burrito bowls, pulled pork bowls etc.
Another great way to use crispy chickpeas is in place of a soup cracker (like for chicken noodle soup)
If you have more self control than I do, you may have some leftovers. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator or countertop for no more than a week.
Crispy Baked Chickpeas Recipe
Crispy Baked Chickpeas
Crispy baked chickpeas are going to be your new favorite salad topping. They're CRUNCHY, healthy, and super simple to make!
- 2 Cups Chickpeas
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil melted
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper (optional)
Rinse chickpeas and pat dry.
In a bowl, combine all ingredients.
Spread chickpeas on a lined baking sheet and bake at 425F for 40 minutes.