Did you hear the news?! Dexcom G5 mobile app for android is now available!! I don’t know about you, but I have been anxiously awaiting this moment for almost 2 years! Ever since Dexcom exclusively rolled out their app to only Apple devices I have been heartbroken. I was so close, so many times, to spending a lot of money to make the switch from android to apple JUST for this feature. Patience has paid off and now I am a proud user of the Android G5 Mobile System.
Let’s dive into how this app works
This app replaces your need for a receiver. No longer do you have to carry around your receiver to read your Dexcom numbers; tho you can use both if you choose to. Your Dexcom transmitter sends the info directly to your smartphone, just like it would to the receiver.
This is excellent for a few reasons
- You’re carrying around 1 less device
- You can connect it to a smartwatch and view your BG readings right on your wrist. A bit of forewarning here…. your smartwatch does needs to be within 20ft(?) of your cell phone for it to work. So, unfortunately, you can’t leave your phone at home and expect your watch to still work. Which is kind of a bummer and they should totally work on that. But still a very cool feature to have! Especially when hiking, running, etc.
- You’re loved ones can keep an eye on your BG numbers too – just hook ‘em up with Dexcom follow App.
Downloading the App & Setting Up
Dexcom G5 Mobile App for android makes set up super simple!
- Download the app from the Play Store and set up an account.
NOTE: Just because you get shipping notification emails from Dexcom doesn’t necessarily mean you have a login account. But all of your orders are tied to that email, so to keep everything in one place, use that email address to create an account.
- After you agree to a bunch of terms and conditions it will have you enter your transmitter SN. If you still have the box you can just scan the barcode. But who keeps those boxes? Honestly! So I just put in the number manually. It can be found on your receiver in the settings sections > transmitter > transmitter info > Transmitter SN
- Kabam! That’s it! Now you can play with your settings, set your high/low thresholds, change the alert tones to vibrate (or a special tone – which they all sound horrendous so I choose vibrate)
- Every 12 hours your phone will ask you to calibrate, just like your receiver did. Just enter your BG number and you’re good to go!
Currently the Dexcom G5 Mobile App for Android is only compatible with the following android phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, S6, and S7, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, LG G4, LG G5, Nexus 6
UPDATE! Dexcom is constantly adding more Android phones to their list. Check their website (here) for a complete list of compatible devices. Or check the Play Store app – if your device is compatible you will see the Dexcom G5 Mobile app.
And the following Android Wear Watches: Android Wear 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.0