How to Make Dexcom Sensor Last 2 Weeks
The Dexcom is not cheap. With a 3 month supply costing about $1,500 on average you’re probably wondering how to get the most out of your supplies. Or maybe you don’t pay a penny because your Dexcom is completely covered by insurance, but the insertion device scares the bejesus out of you and mustering up the courage to put a new one on every 7 days is enough to make you question if it’s even worth it.
Getting your sensors to last an extra week or two is simple. Heck you could make them last 6 months if you really wanted to, though I wouldn’t recommend it. 2 weeks is my goldilocks time for sensors for a couple reasons:
- The insertion site gets red and scary looking the longer you have it on. A couple times I tried wearing my sensor for 3 weeks and when I pulled the bandage off it looked very irritated and had hints of an infection.
- The bandage starts to look like trash. Trying to keep a sticker on your body for 21 days through sleeping, showering, and sweating and having it look nice and clean is an oxymoron. By the third week my sensor is held on with a couple band aids, medical tape, and the white sensor bandage is a nice greyish brown color. Nasty!
It’s for these reasons that I don’t like to push my Dexcom past the 2 week mark. However, I know some people who don’t have any issues pushing it to 3 week. It’s all about what works best for you.
So the big question is…
How to Make Dexcom Sensor Last 2 Weeks (or more)
FOR EVERY STEP LISTED BELOW, THE SENSOR WILL REMAIN ON YOUR BODY. I REPEAT. FOR EVERY STEP, LEAVE THE SENSOR ON YOUR BODY.
If your sensor has already expired skip down to Step 2. If your sensor has not expired select “Stop Sensor” on your receiver.
With the sensor still on your body, select “start sensor” on your receiver. This will begin the 2 hour warm up process (just like when you put a new sensor on).
And that’s it! I told you it was easy 🙂
Interested in learning more about the Dexcom? Check out my posts below:
- Getting a CGM: Initial Dexcom Review
- Dexcom 1 Year Update
- Dexcom G5 Mobile App for Android
- How to Get Dexcom on Android Wear Watch