Whether you’re eating keto or just want some low carb snacks because your blood sugar is high af, this list is excellent to have on hand! I have a list for on-the-go snacks and at-home snacks, because snacks like egg salad don’t travel well.
Low Carb Snacks for When Your Blood Sugar is High
Everything listed below is considered paleo, meaning it’s dairy free, grain free, gluten free, refined sugar free, and is minimally processed.
On-The-Go Low Carb Snacks
- Beef Sticks: For the best quality beef stick or jerky look for beef that has been pasture raised, grass-fed, and humanely raised. My favorite brand is Paleo Valley because their beef sticks are grass-fed, pasture raised, humanely raised, AND are fermented; meaning they contain pro-biotics!
- Trail Mix: This can easily become a high carb snack if you load it with cashews, dried fruit, and chocolate. If you’re trying to keep it low carb stick to the nuts (go light on the cashews), seeds, and only a tiny bit of (if at all) dried fruit or chocolate.
- Keto Bars & Protein/ Fat Bombs: I know this is a very broad snack category, but I also don’t think there’s enough diversity in it to break it down more. Any kind of keto bar/protein bar or fat bomb is great for low carb snacks. I like to make my own (see my recipe here), but when I do buy them I buy Paleo Valley’s Super Food Bars.
- Pickled Green Beans: I seriously can’t get enough of pickled Dilly Beans. I’ve tried to make my own, but it never comes out quite like they do it at the farmers market. I’ve found this brand of Dilly Beans at the stores and it tastes very close to the ones you’d get at a farmers market. Don’t be ashamed if you eat an entire jar in one sitting… that’s really the only way to do it.
At-Home Low Carb Snacks
- Egg Salad: Egg salad is an excellent low carb snack idea. Take boiled eggs, add a big glob of mayo, salt, pepper, and a decent squeeze of mustard. Then stir, baby, stir!
- Chicken salad: Having chicken salad on hand makes it super easy to grab something that is protein packed, loaded with healthy fats (if you use the right mayo), and is low carb.A quick note on mayo…a lot of people have switched to avocado mayo for health reasons, but a recent study found that over 82% of avocado oils are either rancid or cut with soybean/vegetable oils. There were only two brands that were not rancid and used 100% avocado oil: Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil & Marianne’s Avocado Oil. Read more about it here.
- Cucumbers/Carrots with hummus: If you’re craving a crunch then carrot sticks (or cucumber sticks) with hummus are the way to go. These are excellent with Everything Bagel Seasoning sprinkled on top too!
- Pancakes or Waffles: When I make pancakes or waffles I like to double the batch and keep the extra on hand for a fast low carb snack. This is the recipe I use. Each pancake/waffle has just 1.9g net carbs. Sometimes I’ll lather it with almond butter and coconut flakes. Mmmmm!
- Chia Seed Pudding: I use 2 TBSP chia seeds + 1/2 cup mylk + 1 tsp maple syrup + 1/2 tsp vanilla. Shake and let sit for 10 minutes before shaking again. Let rest in refrigerator for at lease one hour (or overnight). Top with your favorite fruit, nuts, seeds, and spices. Want to add probiotics? Use 12oz greek yogurt + 1C mylk + 3 TBSP chia seeds + 1 TBSP honey.
- Pickle Deli Meat Wrap: Slather your favorite deli meat with some mayo & mustard and wrap around a pickle spear. Easy peasy.
- Sautéed Veggies: This one is super simple and super delicious. Grab some veggies, sauté them in ghee then sprinkle with salt & pepper and enjoy!
articles & sources mentioned in this post
shop this post
Let’s fire up the comments section!
What is your favorite low carb snack? Doesn’t have to be paleo!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission (at no extra cost to you). I only refer things that I actually love and use.